Ting- og Arresthuset Aarhus
In 1901, the Danish city of Aarhus decided that the construction of a new building was required for its court and prison. To this end, an architectural design competition was advertised and the Copenhagen architects Knud Andersen Ludvigsen and Julius Hansen were selected for the project. The three-storey red brick house was completed in 1906. The artist, K. Hansen-Reistrup, who was also responsible for the decoration of the city’s theatre, created ornamental features and decorations for the new building.
Bronze lions sit on top of balustrades on the outer flanks, while the stairs to the main entrance are framed by bronze lanterns, copies of Caporros’ famous lamps for the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence. The stone sculptor, Elias Ølsgaards, used Obernkicherner Sandstein® to create portals, cornices, jambs, friezes, ornamental panels, balustrades, the balcony and the tympanum for the building.